15 March 2013

Cookies and Cream Frosting

Anyone that knows me knows that I love frosting. It's one of the few things that I can actually still eat! I love cake and frosting, but mostly the frosting. Buttercream=Joy.

I have made frosting for a long, long time and every once in a while I get adventurous and add something, but nothing, NOTHING beats just your basic Buttercream frosting.

Last Wednesday was national Oreo cookie day and I also had a small office birthday party that day, so was able to make some Oreo goodies and celebrate my coworkers birthday all at once. I made chocolate cupcakes (gluten free of course) along with the cheesecake bars in my previous post. I wanted to do an Oreo frosting, but all the recipes I found were for cream cheese (not good for the lactose intolerant) and Oreo's. So, I adapted the basic (Wilton's) Buttercream Icing recipe and made my own version of cookies and cream frosting. YUM.

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
1 cup of butter or vegan butter like earth balance
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 pounds confectioners sugar
4 tablespoons of milk (soy or almond work as well)
10-14 Oreos or gluten free Glutino brand chocolate cookies smashed up into small pieces.

Directions:
1. Beat butter and shortening until well blended.
2. Add vanilla and mix well
3. Slowly mix in confectioners sugar a cup at a time on low speed. Add milk a tablespoon at a time and mixing well in between.
4. Add chopped cookie pieces and mix with a spatula.

**Please note that If you are planning on using a decorating bag you will want to chop Oreo's in a food processor into small pieces.

Yield: enough for 24 cupcakes or approximately 4 cups.































Enjoy!







No comments:





Blogging Tips